Right. Nerdgasm aside, I think I've got the right structures in place to support the types of effects I want in the game, and I've got a random bunch of stuff working in my unit testing to prove it - and it is delightfully interacting with the HUDs and character stats I'd previously done. So, things are clicking into place nicely.
There's still a lot of work to do with effects, I need to drop icons on the right character, show the right effect on the overview, update the text output and the like, but there's certainly a milestone here - effects create, interact with characters (or the party as a whole) and then wear off as needed and dissipate. It's downhill from here I think.